- Clean gutters in order to prevent water build up
- Do not over water landscaping
- Drain and eliminate mosquito breeding habitats by clearing away free standing water from:
- Bird Births
- Empty Flower Pots
- Flower Saucers
- Rain Barrels
- Rain Gutters
- Frequently change the water in bird baths
- Get rid of temporary pools or fill with dirt
- Swimming pools must be circulating and properly treated
- In ponds use fish that eat larvae to prevent them from developing into adults. Example:
- Mosquito Fish
- Rather than fogging, place bacterium thuringiensis Isrealensis (BTI) in ponds or any standing water. Example: mosquito dunks
Also, insecticides like Insect Growth Regulators (IGR) can inhibit the development of larvae and mosquito without harming your pets. Larvicides are the insecticides utilized to exterminate the larval life stage of an insect. Environmental Protection Agency and state approved larvicides assist in stopping the larvae and pupa from reaching adult stage.
Adulticide is a substance that is used to eradicate adult mosquitoes.
Larvicides such as mosquito dunks and handheld adulticides sprays can be purchased at your local home improvement store.
- The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends using products that contains 20% or more DEET.
- Find an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved personal mosquito repellent to protect against mosquito- borne illnesses and bites.
- A low technology method to fight mosquitoes are fans. Mosquitoes are not strong enough to fly around when they are on.
- Make sure window air conditioners are placed appropriately and will not permit mosquitoes to enter through gaps.
- While outside, wear long sleeve clothes to prevent mosquito bites.